Most short hairstyles for women are all about the bangs, which are of course finicky to style. Smoothing products can leave hair flat but this simple technique adds texture and shine. Here’s the trick for how to style short hair for women.
1. Start by towel drying wet hair and work in a touch of leave in conditioner that also protects against heat. like DHC After Bath Hair Treatment Emulsion. Work the product through hair with fingers and then a comb to ensure hair is coated evenly.
2. Now it’s time to start blow drying. Use a diffuser, if you have one, to speed up the drying process and get hair just the way you want. First use your fingers to guide hair into place and follow with a soft bristle brush. For fine or straight hair this will be enough.
3. For thicker hair or a cowlick, get out the flat iron. The best flat irons for short hair are smaller and ceramic, tourmaline, ionic to protect hair. The best options for short hairstyles are:
- BaByliss PRO Nano Titanium is a travel size flatiron that is 1/2″ wide and mini. These are plenty for short hair but full size flat irons can be easier to handle.
- Babyliss Pro TT Tourmaline Titanium 1/2″ Flat Iron has a full sized handle with slim plates that make getting close to the scalp easy. The ionizing plates are temperature adjustable and leave hair shiny and smooth.
- For thicker or longer short hair, like Rihanna’s signature look, a 1″ straightener is a better option. HSI 1″ Ceramic Tourmaline Flat Ironis a great option with a temperature range from 140° to 410° and ceramic plates that get hot quickly and distribute heat evenly and ionizing properties.
4. Flat iron longer bangs, curving the flat iron so they lie naturally agains the forehead. Last take a little product, rub it between your palms, and work it through bangs while pushing hair in the opposite direction.
5. This final step is the key to this tutorial. Styling the hair in the opposite direction than it usually falls in adds volume, texture, and defeats cowlicks are any of those funky things bangs can do.